Name and publication
Phytophthora irrigata C. Hong and M. Gallegly (2008)
Hong C, Gallegly ME, Richardson PA, Kong P, and Moorman GW. 2008. Phytophthora irrigata, a new species isolated from irrigation reservoirs and rivers in eastern United States of America. FEMS Microbiol Lett 285: 203–211.
Corresponding author: C. Hong email@example.com
from Hong et al. (2008)
refers to the habitat (‘irrigation’ water) where it was isolated
Type: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, isolated from water of irrigation reservoir in Virginia during the year 2000 by Hong (23J7) MYA-4457
Ex-type in other collections
MYA-4457 = 23J7 = P16861 (WPC), P108 (WVU), CPHST BL 41 (Abad), 23J7 (Yang)
Voucher sequences for barcoding genes (ITS rDNA and COI) of the ex-type (see Molecular protocols page)
Sequences for ex-type in other sources
- NCBI: Phytophthora irrigata CPHST BL 41
- NCBI: Phytophthora irrigata P16861
- NCBI: Phytophthora irrigata 23J7
- Phytophthora Database: Phytophthora irrigata PD_02778 = P16861 (WPC)
- EPPO-Q-bank: Phytophthora irrigata
- BOLDSYSTEMS: Phytophthora irrigata (barcoding COI & ITS)
Position in ITS phylogenetic tree
adapted from Hong et al. (2008)
Colonies and cardinal temperatures
Colony morphology after 7 days of growth on potato dextrose agar and malt extract with petaloid pattern and on V8 agar with light petaloid pattern. Minimum temperature for growth is 7°C, optimum 30°C, and maximum 40°C.
Conditions for growth and sporulation
Sporangia nonpapillate; persistent; ovoid, globose, and obpyriform (34–51 L x 27–42 W µm); with internal extended and nested proliferation; and originated mostly on long unbranched sporangiophores. Hyphae swellings absent. Chlamydospores absent.
Most typical characters
Additional specimen(s) evaluated
Hosts and distribution
Notes: The nature of the type is uncertain.
Distribution: North America (USA)
Substrate: isolated from water
Retrieved January 31, 2018 from U.S. National Fungus Collections Nomenclature Database.
Host: Rhododendron spp.
Substrate: irrigation water
Additional references and links
- Phytophthora DATABASE: Phytophthora irrigata
- EPPPO-Q-bank: Phytophthora irrigata
- SMML USDA-ARS: Phytophthora irrigata
- EPPO Global Database: Phytophthora irrigata
- CABI Invasive Species Compendium: Phytophthora irrigata
- Encyclopedia of Life (EOL): Phytophthora irrigata
- Index Fungorum (IF): Phytophthora irrigata
- Plantwise Knowledge Bank: Phytophthora irrigata
- Google All Phytophthora irrigata
- Google Images Phytophthora irrigata
- Google Scholar Phytophthora irrigata
Fact sheet author
Z. Gloria Abad, Ph.D., USDA-APHIS-PPQ-S&T Beltsville Laboratory, United States of America