Name and publication
Phytophthora botryosa Chee (1969)
Chee KH. 1969. Variability of Phytophthora species from Hevea brasiliensis. T. Brit. Mycol. Soc. 52: 425–436.
from Chee (1969)
Type: MALAYSIA, on leaf petioles of Hevea brasiliensis collected in Perlis, West Malaysia by Chee (- strain, 1075), September 1966, IMI 136915
Ex-type: CBS 581.69 (isolate A2)
Additional isolate in original publication: THAILAND, Chantaburi, from leaf petioles of Hevea brasiliensis (rubber), K. H. Chee, August 1967, IMI 136916 (Chee 1254 +strain) (A1). This isolate corresponds to Phytophthora palmivora, same as CBS 533.92, P3940, ATCC 26480 (G. Abad 11.15.2017).
Ex-type in other collections
Voucher sequences for barcoding genes (ITS rDNA and COI) of the ex-type (see Molecular protocols page)
Sequences for ex-type in other sources
- NCBI: Phytophthora botryosa CPHST BL 132
- NCBI: Phytophthora botryosa P3425 (NOTE: Sequence JN618768 is incorrect as it corresponds to Phytophthora citrophthora)
- NCBI: Phytophthora botryosa IMI136915
- Phytophthora DATABASE: Phytophthora botryosa PD-01607 (P3425 = CBS 581.69)
- EPPO-Q-bank: Phytophthora botryosa CBS 581.69 = IMI 136915
- BOLDSYSTEMS: Phytophthora botryosa PHYTO169.10 = P3425, OOMYA197-07 = CBS58169, OOMYA481-08 = CBS58169 (barcoding COI & ITS)
Position in ITS phylogenetic tree
Colonies and cardinal temperatures
Cultures in V-8 agar slightly chrysanthemum, in PDA with no distinctive pattern and with little aerial mycelium. Minimum temperature for growth 9°C, optimum 26°C, maximum 32°C.
Sporangia semipapillate, caducous with medium pedicel (5–20 µm long), oval or occasionally ovoid (28 x 15 µm) produced in simple sympodial sporangiophores. Sporangia produced abundantly in botryose clumps in average of about 90 sporangia per clump. Hyphal swellings absent. Chlamydospores infrequent, globose, 14–30 µm diam.
Heterothallic. Although oogonia are rarely produced in single cultures, they are abundant when A1 and A2 isolates are grown together. Oogonia smooth-walled, 25–30 µm diam.; antheridia amphigynous, 14 x 13 µm; oospores 22–24 µm diam.
Most typical characters
Phytophthora botryosa is characterized by the presence of sporangia in botryose clumps.
CPHST BL 7 (Abad) selected specimen = P6716 [World Phytophthora Collection (WPC) California, USA]
Hosts and distribution
Distribution: Asia (Malaysia, Thailand, Andaman Islands)
Substrate: leaves, seed pods
Disease note: leaf fall and black stripe of Hevea rubber
Hosts: Hevea brasiliensis (Euphorbiaceae), Cocos nucifera (Palmae), Vanilla sp. (Orchidaceae)
Retrieved January 29, 2018 from U.S. National Fungus Collections Nomenclature Database.
USA: This species was listed as a species of concern during the 2009 Phytophthora prioritization project conducted by USDA APHIS PPQ CPHST PERAL (Schwartzburg et al.).
Additional references and links
- Phytophthora DATABASE: Phytophthora botryosa
- EPPO-Q-bank: Phytophthora botryosa
- SMML USDA-ARS: Phytophthora botryosa
- EPPO Global Database: Phytophthora botryosa
- CABI Invasive Species Compendium: Phytophthora botryosa
- Encyclopedia of Life (EOL): Phytophthora botryosa
- Index Fungorum (IF): Phytophthora botryosa
- Plantwise Knowledge Bank: Phytophthora botryosa
- Google All Phytophthora botryosa
- Google Images Phytophthora botryosa
- Google Scholar Phytophthora botryosa
Fact sheet author
Z. Gloria Abad, Ph.D., USDA-APHIS-PPQ-S&T Beltsville Laboratory, United States of America