Inside Citrus Diseases, you will find an interactive key, fact sheets, descriptions, and images to aid in the identification of diseases of citrus in the United States and those of immediate concern. The interactive key is a Lucid3 key, usable as either a server-side application or a Java applet. Lucid3 is software for creating and using interactive identification keys. Lucid was developed by QAAFI Biological Information Technology at the University of Queensland in Australia. Visit the Lucidcentral website for more information on Lucid and Lucid3.
Web pages in Citrus Diseases outside of the Lucid3 interactive key are viewable in any web browser and are all accessible from the top menu. This tool is best viewed with Firefox or Internet Explorer 8 and higher web browsers. Internet Explorer 7 is not recommended. Please check the Lucid3 system requirements below if you would like to use the interactive key.
Option 1: Key server
Accessing the key through the Lucid Key Server is the default option.
- It is fully web-based and requires no special software or add-ons.
- You do not have to wait for entire key to load.
- It can be used on mobile devices such as the iPad, iPhone, etc.
- The 4x4 viewing grid is not size adjustable.
- Because the entire key is not loaded, users may experience latency between character selections.
If they key does not load at first, please refresh the page.
Note: You may need to allow popups in your browser in order to view web pages such as fact sheets that are attached to the key.
Option 2: Java applet
- The key is pre-loaded, eliminating latency between character selections.
- The 4x4 viewing grid is size adjustable
- The entire key must be loaded before it can be used.
- The system requirements are more restrictive (see below).
- Java applets may be blocked as active content by certain organizations.
- Java applet will not run on Apple mobile devices.
Requirements for Java applet
Operating system: Windows 2000 (SP3)/XP/Vista, Mac OSX 10.4 or greater, Linux (that supports J2RE), Solaris 7-10. (The key will run on Windows 98/ME/NT4 but these platforms are no longer supported.)
System memory: 256MB RAM (512MB or greater recommended).
Web browser: Java-enabled web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
Note: You may need to adjust your browser settings to allow pop-ups and active content (this particularly applies to Internet Explorer) when viewing the key as a Java applet.
Hard drive space: 150MB if running tool from hard drive (excluding space required for Java Runtime Environment and web browser).
Software: The Lucid3 interactive key will run embedded within a web browser as a Java Applet Player. Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.4.2 (1.5 or greater recommended) must be installed on your computer for the Lucid3 Applet Player to run successfully.
If the box above states that your Java status is version 1.4.2 or greater (from Sun Microsystems Inc.), and your computer meets the Lucid3 system requirements, you may proceed to the Lucid3 key.Go to Java applet